Student Welfare Clinic

Your welfare, safety and protection are very important to us.

Student welfare clinic:

Do you need assistance with the following?



Registering with a doctor

Opening a bank account

Seeing a dentist



National Insurance Number

Issues relating to being under 18

LanguageUK offer a student welfare clinic and we are here to help and reassure you at any time. Verity Sessions is head of our Student Service Department working alongside Melanie Noden who works at our Faversham site with juniors. The school’s Designated Safeguarding Leaders are Verity Sessions and Melanie Noden. Designated Safeguarding person Keith Alandri and Gerrard Benson.  All our staff are trained to level 1 in safeguarding.


We take your welfare very seriously no matter what age you are. LanguageUK is committed to all students being listened to, treated as individuals and free from any type of abuse.  Our priority is to ensure that you are happy while you are studying with us in Broadstairs and in Faversham which is why we have in place regular tutorials to find out what you think. We have a dedicated group of all our staff to providing a high standard of welfare on all our courses. We will do whatever is necessary to resolve any difficulties you may experience during your stay, whether academic, accommodation-related or personal. At the heart of this is the rapport that we establish with every student at LanguageUK which we believe makes it easy for you to talk to us.

Your Happiness

Here at Languageuk we believe you learn more quickly if you feel happy and comfortable, so our aim is to ensure all our students feel safe, secure and content. We hope that you find our schools both in Broadstairs and in Faversham to be a friendly and supportive place of learning. We promise to give you a friendly welcome and any personal support you need to help adjust to life in a strange country.

Health and Safety

Our schools keep high standards as we abide by all relevant legislation relating to Health and Safety. We have regular fire drills and conduct rigorous risk assessments to ensure that the whole building is safe, and we maintain a high standard of hygiene in the catering areas.

If you are unable to attend the school due to illness, please ensure you inform your homestay and contact the school directly as soon as possible. If you are U18 and here as an individual student your home stay host will contact us for you. If you require medical attention, the school will take responsibility for this. If you fall seriously ill outside school time, please contact the emergency numbers on the back of your Student Cards.

Long term students – Registering with a doctor

We recommend that all students staying in the UK for over 3 months should register with their local Doctor. We can help you to arrange this on your arrival at the school.

National Health Service:

Accident and Emergency Department
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital
St Peters Road
Tel: 01843 235030

C-Doc Margate (out of hours’ service)
Monday to Friday
6.30 p.m. – 8 a.m.
Weekends 03000 242424
NHS: 0845 4647 help line

Treatment under the National Health Service (NHS) is free if you are a national of an EEA country or if your country has a full reciprocal agreement with Britain. However, if neither of these applies, you will have to pay if you are admitted to a hospital bed (unless the illness is an infectious one). Only emergency outpatient treatment for accidents is free. Even if treatment is free, you must pay part of the cost of the medicine (this is the same for UK residents as well!). The current prescription charge is £8.60. Medicines can be bought from the pharmacy counter at a chemist.

Needing a dentist

If you need dental treatment you will have to pay the full cost as a private patient. Should you have an emergency and need to be seen by a dentist in the UK you will be charged expensive fees. We recommend any major dental work be done in your own country to avoid expensive treatment. If dental work is essential, we will contact a local dentist for you.

NHS direct (0845 4647)

If you should require either a doctor or dentist, our Student Welfare Clinic can assist you at any time.

Care of Under 18’s

The minimum age to study at our school is 16. A child- is defined as a person under the age of 18 (The Children Act 1989).   Also referred to as “U18”.

Whilst we welcome students over the age 16 please note that we do not provide 24-hour supervision for students under 18 and it is therefore very important that parents and guardians consider whether they’re under 18’s are emotionally mature and can act responsibly during their stay with us.

  • Under 18’s staying in homestay accommodation should eat with the host family every night.
  • Under 18s’ must return home by 10.30 PM Sunday to Thursday and 11.30pm Friday and Saturday (if you wish your child to be home at a different time please make it known on the Parental Agreement).
  • All school staff and homestay hosts have had a UK police (DBS) check.
  • Parents/guardians must provide a written parental, travel and medical consent form along with a signature from the student.

Link to Agreement form and notes for Parents in PDF format.

We take our responsibilities with regards to under 18’s very seriously and all our staff have regular training on the importance of safeguarding issues.


LanguageUK is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Please view our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy

Visual and Audial Impairment, Dyslexia etc.

If you have difficulties with sight or hearing, we may be able to provide some help for you in the classroom. It is very important to tell us before you book your course so that we can inform you of any help we will be able to provide.

If you are dyslexic, please tell us in advance. In particular, if you are planning to take an examination we can make special arrangements for you, but we need to know in good time.

People with disabilities

Broadstairs can accommodate students with disabilities.

Staying Safe

The UK is generally a very safe country, but it is always good to think about your personal safety.  The British Council has produced a useful guide to help you understand the laws in the UK and how to keep yourself safe at all times.

to help you understand the laws in the UK and how to keep yourself safe at all times.

How safe is Broadstairs?

Broadstairs is a safe town providing you are sensible. Please:

  • Make sure you know your accommodation address and phone number for use in an emergency and always carry this with you
  • Be sensible both during the day and especially at night
  • Do not get into a strange car, or hitchhike
  • Do not leave your bags or valuables unattended – they could be stolen
  • Do not carry large sums of money/cash around with you
  • Make sure your passport and valuables are safe
  • Pubs, clubs and discotheques can sometimes attract trouble, especially late at night. Do not get involved
  • Report any incident to the school and police as soon as possible
  • Avoid walking home alone or walking in areas where there are no street lamps, including the beach
  • If you are out late, try not to speak loudly or attract unwelcome attention
  • Be careful when using your mobile phone outside
  • Take care of your personal belongings wherever you go

Please note: this is the same advice which would be given to anyone going abroad.

Be aware that our lifestyle in the UK may be quite different from your own country so when it comes to simple matters like crossing the road, cycling, awareness of other people on the street, and going out after dark, always think before you act! Make sure you input the emergency numbers into your phones in advance as it is ‘better to be safe than sorry’! Any valuables that you do not need to carry with you should be kept in your locked suitcase with your Host Family. There is no legal requirement for you to have a passport or identity card with you at all times in the UK so these, too, can be left in your family home.

At a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights, remember to look left, right and left again before crossing; wear a safety helmet if you are cycling and always lock the bike when you leave it somewhere, if only for a few minutes.

Do you have questions? Need more information?

Follow us on Social Media