We strongly advise students to take out suitable insurance before arriving in the UK. This should cover:

  • cancellation of travel/course curtailment, loss of tuition fees
  • medical expenses
  • loss of possessions

Ask the health authorities in your home country about the treatment that will be covered for you in the UK. If you are not entitled to treatment through the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, it is highly recommended that you take out medical insurance before you leave home, or as soon as possible after you arrive.

For a list of the UK’s health agreements with other countries, visit the Department of Health website

For more useful information, visit the British Council website.


Making sure your possessions are covered

LanguageUK recommends all students think about insurance when planning their trip to the UK. You should insure your luggage and personal possessions while you’re travelling and during your stay.


About Endsleigh – English UK’s recommended insurer

Endsleigh, in association with English UK, has produced a travel insurance policy specifically designed for international students who come to the UK to study English.

If you click on endsleigh you get straight on to their website

International student insurance | Endsleigh

Endsleigh specialises in providing insurance for students & professionals; covering gadget, car, home, travel & life insurance. Get your Endsleigh quote today.

Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited was originally formed in 1965 by the National Union of Students (NUS). Endsleigh is the largest student insurance company in the UK, and their International Student policy is the only insurance policy specifically endorsed by English UK.


Why do you need insurance?

You should consider purchasing travel insurance to protect yourself and belongings. You should make sure you have adequate medical insurance to cover medical costs if you fall ill, and also to cover any additional costs resulting from illness. These can be substantial and include:

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Additional treatment and medical costs not covered by the NHS
  • Cost of returning home if a close relative is taken ill
  • Cost of a close relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill
  • Returning you to your home country for treatment

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment whilst in the UK, (this would depend on your country of origin and the duration of your stay) you should consider taking out insurance to cover the above additional costs.


How do I purchase an International Student insurance policy?

Endsleigh provides this service in conjunction with the majority of English UK member centres. To purchase a policy contact the admission office at the institution where you will be studying prior to your departure to the UK and they will be able to arrange this for you.


To purchase a policy direct from Endsleigh you will need the following information:

  • Your arrival date in the UK
  • The date you depart the UK
  • Your age, unless part of a group and the name of the eldest traveller is required
  • Your title
  • Your forename
  • Your family name
  • Your date of birth in the format of DD/MM/YYYY.
  • Your telephone number:
  • Your UK address and postcode
  • Your home address
  • Your credit or debit card details


Health insurance and costs

Immigration health surcharge – for students studying in the UK for more than six months

You must pay the immigration health surcharge if you apply for a visa to study for more than six months.

You pay the fee as part of your online visa application. You can then access national health services in the UK during your stay. This includes free doctors’ appointments and hospital services.

If your visa is valid for between six and 12 months, the cost is £470. The cost increases with the length of the visa.

Calculate your immigration health surcharge


All students should have travel insurance

All students travelling to the UK should have travel insurance. Students studying for six months or less should ensure their insurance covers medical costs in case they need to access healthcare in the UK.

Find out more 

Do you have questions? Need more information?

Follow us on Social Media