Many of our students choose to stay with a homestay provider, experiencing life in a British home. Spending a little time every day with a host- especially during mealtimes- is a great way to practise your English. It is also a very economical option for standard accommodation, including breakfast and dinner. Our homestay providers are in various parts of Canterbury in residential areas either a walk or bus ride away. We cannot guarantee any students to be in walking distance from the school.
As part of a homestay you will be expected to fit in with British customs and culture. There may be some elements of life that are not familiar to you, but this is all part of the experience! We can give you more information on how to help you adapt to your homestay and to the cultural differences here in the UK.
The population of Britain is made up of people of all races, ethnicities, and religions, so you may be living with people who do not look like what you might imagine British people to be. Some homestay providers are not of English origin, but all speak English to high standard.
We try to match students with homestay providers and to find the right homestay for everyone. It is important to book early and to tell us about your needs e.g. special diets, smoking, children, and pets.
- Most British people have pets – usually a cat or a dog
- If you are in self-catering homestay you will not have so much opportunity to practise your English as you will not be with your host(s) during your meals.
- Students are sometimes have to house share with students of their own language in the summer. If we place you in the accommodation with a student of the same nationality, we will inform you in advance. You are welcome to cancel your booking if you are not happy with this option. However, this happens very rarely and only if there is no alternative accommodation available.
- No more than 4 students will be accommodated in homestay accommodation at the same
- Couples and friends are welcome – please let us know well in advance if this is your choice and you want to be together, so we can place you in the right homestay (please note friends might not always be together in busier times of the year)
The Accommodation Officer and members of staff are always here to help you and answer any questions you have about the homestay experience.