Identity & Student Cards

Identity Cards & Passports

In the UK, it is not a legal requirement for Identity (I.D) cards to be carried on your person. Therefore, you are advised to leave yours at your accommodation locked in your suitcase.

The occasions when you may need to show your I.D. card are:

  • when purchasing tobacco or alcohol from a shop or supermarket to prove you are over the age of 18
  • when purchasing tobacco or alcohol in a pub to prove you are over the age of 18
  • when gaining admission to a disco or nightclub to prove your age as above
  • when gaining admission to an 18-rated film at a cinema
  • when using the services of a bank or post office
  • when making a purchase (sometimes) in certain shops

Please note if you take a photo of your card and leave it on your phone most places will accept this as a proof of age.

Student Cards

On your first day you will get a student card. This can help you get discounts in some shops, cinemas and clubs etc. However, please note that our student Card is not official student card such as NUS or ISIC card.  A student card can be purchased from STA Travel. You will need your photo ID and a letter from the school to prove your student status.

STA Travel

38 High St, Canterbury CT1 2RY

01227 504202

Go Plastic Free- The international Student Identity Card (ISIC) can also be purchased online:

Do you have questions? Need more information?

Follow us on Social Media